Monday, December 19, 2011

I'll Be Home for Christmas (or a merry TCK Christmas)

Okay, for those of you who might be unaware, I'm heading home (finally) for Christmas.

Those of you who know me are probably hyperventilating right now on my behalf. Those of you who don't are probably thinking, "What the heck? I'm heading home for Christmas, too. What's so special about that?"

My response to the latter is simply, "You live near 'home', don't you?"

Imagine living in one place for most of your life then moving away, by yourself, to some place far enough away that the chance to visit "home" and see your friends and family is rare. Welcome to a part* of my world (and of many a TCK, too). Just to put things into perspective: the shortest trip home takes 18 hours...

... by plane.

Before you ask, no, I can't drive there either. That is, unless you've invented an amphibious car for me to use.

So, for me, heading home is a big deal. I'll be able to see family, friends and familiar sights. I'll be back in my comfort zone, in an area in which, despite the crime, I feel relatively safe.

Now, I begin my trip home tomorrow afternoon. If you all could please pray for safe travels and an enjoyable time being home, it'd be much appreciated.

Merry Christmas and God bless!

*I say part because my 'home' story is a slight bit more convoluted than that, as most TCKs can attest.

1 comment: